Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Great Grandma Emily's Portuguese Rice

My great grandmother used to make this every time we would visit. She served it alongside fried chicken and then for dessert ice cream sandwiches or animal cookies. I have her special rice pot and I just love to make and share this rice with my family. Chalk full of lima beans, its a great side dish and way to get kids to enjoy these wonderful beans!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups long cooking rice 
  • 6-8 oz lima beans ( I use frozen)
  • 1 medium onion (chopped) 
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil 
  • 4 cups of water 
  • salt & pepper 
  • 2 pots of similar size ( or a pot and skillet) 

Pot One: Place 1/4 cup oil in the bottom of the pot. Sautee medium onion until translucent--careful not to burn the onion.

Pot Two: Bring 4 cups of water to boil. Add the sauteed onions, lima beans, and rice. Season with 1tbs salt and 3/4 tsp of pepper (more or less to taste) Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to the lowest setting. Simmer for 30minutes. Fluff with a fork and enjoy!

*Fun Family Factoid: Great grandma used to place a coffee mug on her lids to ensure a good seal while simmering!*****

1 comment:

  1. Yippee I love love LOVE lima beans!! And your family factoid makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete