Sunday, March 25, 2012

What's On Hand Potato Soup



Today I am experimenting with a potato soup Recipe. I found the following online:
1 large potato , per person
¼ cup chopped celery , per person (include leaves)
¼ cup chopped onion , per person
¼-½ cup milk or ¼-½ cup half-and-half or ¼-½ cup cream
salt and pepper , to taste

Directions:

1
Peel and cube potatoes.
2
Put in a saucepan along with the onions and celery.
3
Add water, but don't quite cover the vegetables.
4
Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are very tender.
5
Using a potato masher, coarsely crush the potatoes, but don't mash them--you want chunks left.
6
Add enough milk or cream to thin to desired thickness and add salt& pepper to taste.
7
(It will take a lot of salt!).

Instead I did the following:
Take 1 bag of small yukon gold potatoes. Wash, dice, and place in pot.
Chop one small onion and add to pot
Grate 2 peeled carrots and add to pot
Fill pot with 2 cans of chicken broth and 1 can water
Add 2 bay leaves, salt, pepper, celery salt, and a dash of garlic herb seasoning. 1 pat of butter and stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then let simmer as per instructions above. I plan on thinning it out with some milk and adding cheese with chopped up bacon.

Pictures to follow!
********************************
Update:

I did not add any milk. Once the veggies simmered for 25min I mashed them with a potato masher. It created a nice base for the soup with chunks of potato. I then decided it wasn't as thick as I would like so I made a rue. I took 2tbs of butter and 2 tsp of flour and blended them on the stove. I added it to the soup. I then added 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Stirring on low heat to combine. I added some parsley flakes. Then I cooked some bacon (5 strips) and crumbled into the soup.
Bailey gives it two paws up!

1 comment:

  1. A fellow blogger! How lovely! This soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete