Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tortilla Soup

So last week we had a birthday potluck for two of my coworkers and one of the girls brought a crock of tortilla soup. It was amazing! I asked her for the recipe and am trying it out tonight.



The Recipe:

TORTILLA SOUP

8 Cups of water
A few chicken breasts
1 chopped onion
1 can of red enchilada sauce (smaller can)
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of diced ortega chilies
1 can of corn
4 tbsp of chicken boulion
1 tsp of cumin
½ tsp of ground pepper
1 bay leaf
Cilantro



Toppings:
Tortilla Chips
Cheese
Sour Cream
Limes

Mix all ingredients together in pot until chicken is cooked. When the chicken is cooked, take it out and shred it. Place it back in pot and it is ready to be served!



***Changes***
I have added a can of red kidney beans. Just sounded good to me. I also omitted the cilantro as I had neither fresh nor dried... :(

And now we wait....follow up pictures and results late this evening :) I am planning to serve it alongside some Jiffy Cornbread



****UPDATED****
The soup turned out great! To "build" it you place tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl and then add the soup. From there top as you choose to enhance the flavor. Robert topped his with cheese and sour cream. I topped mine with avocado and cheese.

Robert's soup

My soup

No comments:

Post a Comment